Wednesday, November 7, 2012

This started out as an assignment for my feature writing class. The one assignment we get to use 1st person all semester is creating a podcast about something we're passionate about. 

I've been wanting to start blogging for awhile, I hear it's all the rage. But I figured this would be a good 1st piece to add to a blog...why da f not?

A Reasonable Plan, I Think


     My favorite author is John Steinbeck and my favorite book is his last; Travels with Charley: In Search of America. It's a short and personal tale of Steinbeck's last journey, his last chance of discovering something new. He had no expectations; only pen, paper and his darling dog, Charley. The parallels I find in John Steinbeck's waning career and my cresting own gives these words inspiration.

     Steinbeck says, "I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found." 

     This is a reality I have learned to accept after many years of stubborn resistance. By no means do I turn away from the norms of popular culture or other influences completely. I have simply come to the realization that I am my own being. My beliefs in moral, political and religious views differ from my family. My friends and I sometimes have our interests and priorities arranged differently. I have come to the acceptance of Jordan Stutts and am eager to see what he can be.

   Steinbeck says, "When I was very young and the urge to be someplace else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch." 

     My dream is to be a foreign news correspondent. I believe that if I strongly assert this statement, it WILL happen; along with the work that goes with it. It WILL be accomplished. But the dream I hang my hat on at night is a fear both my parents refuse to realize. Not that they don't want me to succeed or be happy. For them, I believe it is seeing the living proof of their success that makes them happy. Leaving this place is a topic that is quickly dropped at the dinner table for easier to swallow subjects about their baby's big boy life. All three of us know that one day this subject will be handled with one big gulp of goodbye. 

   Steinbeck says, "I saw in their eyes something I was to see over and over in every part of the nation." 

     It has long been my opinion that every single person on this earth has a story to tell. I want to hear every single one. This obviously isn't possible but should relate my intense desire to meet new people, hear new stories, experience new things. My father, a veteran and witness to the bloodbath of Vietnam, constantly reminds me that the world is not like North Carolina. He is saying this to make me realize how nice of a place we have to live. I've already realized the world isn't like North Carolina. It would be foolish to think otherwise. What he doesn't understand is when he's telling me stories of foreign and strange places he is only fueling my fire more.

   So as you can see, John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley has truly been an inspiration to my ambitions. I know what I want to do. The tricky thing will be how to get my own loyal, floppy-eared and furry companion to come with me. Copper, buddy, I'm still working on that part. 

     Right now, I'm sure I want to go, just unsure of where 'where' is. But I am confident that the right gust of wind will eventually get me on my way.

   I'll end with one last quote about my future plans. Something I ponder every morning when I wake up and every night when I go to sleep.

   Steinbeck says, "My plan was clear, concise and reasonable, I think."

1 comment:

  1. Then go forth young man; discover the world. Know that the lessons of your youth were to not scare you from leaving, but to prepare you to go. Go seek the good that is out there, and tell their stories. Seek the good, but make no mistake, what your parents and mentors tried to teach you to recognize evil. Understand its nature and how to combat it. Know yourself, and may God and love be with you.

    ReplyDelete